I ordered a bunch of broccoli from The Organic Box and it had been sitting in the fridge for a bit. (I'm starting to realize this is how most of my recipes start). So, I had the broccoli and rather then my usual boil/steam I wanted to do something different. I also may not have wanted the effort of having to cook it........
Most broccoli salad recipes I noticed had mayo, which I am personally not a huge fan off so I swapped the mayo out for avocado and I think it turned out pretty yummy, AND healthy. The lime adds a bit of zing to the flavor but the citric acid in it also helps keep the avocado from going brown, especially since the longer this is left the softer the broccoli becomes and personally I like better.
- head of broccoli
- 1 avocado
- quarter of a red onion chopped fine
- cup of chopped grape tomato
- juice of half a lime
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste.
As I write out the ingredients I realize it's actually like quacamole with broccoli and I wonder why I've never thought of that before!
- Finely chop the broccoli down. I used just the head and kept the stems out mostly.
- Chop onions and tomato and add to the bowl.
- In a separate bowl add avocado, lime, garlic powder and salt and pepper.
- Mix the avocado mixture in with the broccoli, tomato and onion.
- I like allowing a bit of rest time to let the broccoli soften but it can be eaten right away as well.
Get $20 off your first order of $50 or more from The Organic Box using the code ORGANICBUNCH20.