Cinco De Mayo Salsa
Happy Cinco De Mayo! The tradition behind Cinco De Mayo is actually around Mexico beating out the French in a war in the 1860's, but mostly in today's time we are celebrating the unity of cultures from Mexico and America. Like for example the fact that we all know and LOVE salsa amaright?
I got my Organic Box yesterday and the tomatoes and red onions were begging me to make a salsa with them!
I've got a tad bit of a twist to my salsa to bump up nutrition too!
- 1 tomato
- 1/2 bell pepper (adding chunkiness and vitamin C)
- 1/4 red onion
- 1 tbsp cilantro (sometimes fresh, sometimes dry, sometimes left out)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper (omit or add more to your spicy salsa love level
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 lime
- Chop up onion, tomato and jalapeno finely. I know some people like to use the food processor or knife for chunkier. I actually have a Tupperware chopper that makes it half chunky and half mushy.
- Knife cut bell peppers and add in.
- Add chopped garlic
- Squeeze in half a lime.
- Add cilantro, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add chips and enjoy!
Jen The Bichin' Housewife.
Get $20 off your The Organic Box order with the code ORGANICBOX20
PS Check out my Guacamole recipe on the new Alberta Mamas blog!