Quinoa Kale Cakes, say that three times fast! Growing up my best friend was Polish. Her mom was thick accent, moved from the motherland only a few yeas ago Polish. She was a stern but wonderful woman that was always trying to feed me. Always. She made these delicious morsels called potato pancakes I adore. She made them for me sometimes when I wasn't getting her daughter into trouble. Hehe. I have never been able to perfect the potato pancake quite like her, but I like to think these quinoa cakes are a healthier version that do hers a tiny bit of justice.
These cakes are not very stable or hold together until they are cooking ( a lot like potato pancakes), but once the cheese crisps up and the eggs cook they firm up a bit. So do not fret!
- 2 cups of cooked quinoa (I like to precook more then this and additional quinoa can be used in salads for lunch throughout the week.)
- 1 cup egg whites OR 3 large eggs.
- 1 cup fine chopped kale. Removing the hard stem first.
- 1.5 cups cheese. I used Mozzarella, but I've also used Parmesan or Cheddar.
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat eh pan to a medium high heat.
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl really well.
- Scoop up about 2 tbsp of mixture and place in the pan, spreading it out a bit.
- Flip when the edges start to brown a bit.
- Press down to cook the other side flattening and remove from heat when done.
- Enjoy alone or I like Thai chili sauce or any condiment to you hearts desire!