Welcome back. I hope you have had a good week and were able to take a bit of time away from social media from last week's "Going Dark" post.
This week, let's go for a walk. A simple and free self love and self care experience.
Some of the benefits are:
- Being outside (in nature even better) is calming.
- It's a great gentle way to get a bit of exercise, releasing some of those happy endorphins.
- It's a great way to reconnect with yourself and your thoughts.
This walk is about you taking time for yourself. So maybe the kids can stay home, the dog can be walked by someone else or earlier (you don't need to think about picking up poop) and leave the earbuds and heart rate monitor at home.
It's not about burning calories or counting steps for the day. It's about you taking some time for yourself.
I myself admit I multitask waaaaaaaay to much. "well if I'm going for a walk, I might as well take the dog, or my podcasts" or whatever else it is we are trying to do at the same time as we relax. Which in reality is defeating the purpose.
So try this on your walk:
- Listen for the sounds in the area. Maybe you've never noticed just how quiet your neighbourhood actually is? Or that the family of chickadees lived in those trees?
- Explore a pathway you don't usually travel. Maybe there is some hidden gem view on the other side of this road?
- Feel the air on your skin. The fall air is crispy cool, yet something about it seems calmingly satisfying maybe?
- Feel you body relax as you walk. Do your stressful shoulders maybe actually soften and relax away from the ears, bringing on a sense of relaxation?
Sometime the simple pleasures in life are so satisfying but also very difficult to come to in our busy lives.
Jen the Bitchin' Housewife