This week for Self Care Sunday we are talking about acupuncture. A little while back Andrea Wingrave from Acupuncture Edmonton and I put together THIS post, all about acupuncture and what it is. I thought what a wonderful self care idea. Getting some acupuncture.
Luckily most benefits cover acupuncture these days up to $500 or $1000 so in reality you aren't out anything if it isn't your thing. But really, it's going to be.
The needles are sterile one time use needles. I know this is something people have expressed concerned about when I tell them about acupuncture. I was also worried I wouldn't be able to donate blood anymore, but turns out if they are sterile singe use then you still can. (Bonus!)
At first it seems a little intimidating thinking about the needles going in and/or staying in. But really after they go in and some minor adjusting to your comfort, you don't even feel them.
But here is the best part people..... you get a 30 minute nap. Yeah, the needles go in, adjust as needed and then you get 30 minutes all to yourself to relax on a soft comfy bed and have a heat lamp on your feet. Oh that glorious heat lamp. I need one for home.
Now whether or not you are sure if you "believe" in acupuncture working or not, the relaxing time spent in the room and you taking time for yourself is a huge step toward tapping into that parasympathetic (rest and digestion) cycle of the body. This is truly self care. Calming down, unwinding and finding time for yourself.
Oh and before I forget.... you get a head massage at the end.... *drooooool*
So a few tips for heading to the acupuncturist.
- Maybe find a referral from a friend. I love friends that tell me about professionals they love and why, that way I sort of know what to expect.
- Wear loose fitting clothing. That way pant legs can be rolled up if access is needed to the knees etc.
- They will have music but honestly I think this relaxation time would pair perfectly with a mediation podcast or yoga nidra recording on youtube.
- Turn off your phone. Not on vibrate, You don't want to hear buzzing and crap as you are trying to relax.
- I highly recommend booking an appointment in the evening so you can go to sleep after!
Have you ever seen an acupuncturist? Whats your favourite part?
Jen the Bitchin' Housewife