This delicious ginger, tumeric butternut squash recipe is simple and a good anti inflammatory. Creamy and smooth and made vegan. See the full recipe for non vegan substitutes,Read More
What's better on a cold day then a warm bowl of homemade soup? Especially when you have a cold and cough after the flu?
For lunchtime I put together this yummy easy soup that's ready in about 30-35 minutes.No need for hours and hours of stewing. Oh and completely vegan!
- 1/4 of an onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery
- 1L of vegetable stock
- 3/4 cup red lentils
- handful of kale (or spinach would work)
- spices of choice. I used tumeric, coriander seed and cumin. I also used a pinch of Asafoetida, which is commonly used in Indian dishes to add flavour and is a digestive aid. If you don't care if this is vegan you can used chicken or beef stock and you would get some of the flavour missing when using vegetable stock.
- Heat the pot with the olive oil at the bottom.
- Add the diced onions, garlic, celery and carrot. Cook until a little soft and the onions are a bit translucent.
- Add the stock and lentils and spices you have chosen.
- Cook for about 20-25 minutes until the lentils are soft.
- Add the kale/spinach in the last 5 minutes. Tip, chop them into smaller pieces, making it easier when eating.
- Serve and enjoy.
What's some of your favourite things to throw in your soup?
Jen The Bitchin' Housewife