I've had this spaghetti squash on my counter for a bit. My daughters hate spaghetti squash and I love it. Usually I would cook it and save some to be eaten later but this squash was a little on the bigger side and I just know I wouldn't have eaten it all. So I cooked it up with what I had in the fridge for a vegetarian, gluten free side dish at a potluck I was heading to.
I hate opening recipes and finding what seems like a million ingredients or finding I'm missing a couple and there is no way to make it. Really use what you've got. Use your veggies or maybe you'd prefer to have ground beef or tofu instead. Use your favourite cheese, they all get that gooey crust on top when you hit the broiler for a few minutes.
- 1 Spaghetti Squash
- Olive oil
- Vegetables - I used carrot, zucchini and bell pepper
- Pasta Sauce
- Cheese of choice - I used Gouda, could use traditional mozarella or a lower fat version.
- Seasoning, italian seasoning, garlic powder (I really like garlic) and fresh basil from the garden (dry will be fine too)
- Cook the squash. I'll give you two methods depending on your time. Cut the squash in half lengthwise.
-Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. . Roast cut side down for abour 30-40 minutes. Or until your fork goes into the squash with relative ease.
-You can also stick it in the microwave, cut side down for 5-10 minutes depending on your settings.
- While the squash cooks you can cook your vegetables or protein. For the vegetables I started with the carrots because they take longer to cook, then added the zucchini and bell pepper. Cook until soft and remove from the pan. Put the cooked veggies on a cutting board and cut up. This makes it easier to have the consistency of say ground beef without having to make sure all the veggies are the same size before cooking.
- A little more olive oil in the pan and cook the garlic and onion. Cook until soft and starting to brown.
- Add the pasta sauce to the pan with the garlic and onions and turn the temperature down low. Add seasoning to taste.
- Add the vegetables back into the pan with the sauce. Remove pan from heat.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees if you didn't use the oven to cook the squash.
- Now assemble like a lasagna! Little bit of sauce at the bottom, layer of spaghetti squash, layer of sauce, layer of cheese and repeat. Mine had two layers, but I had a longer shallow dish. Do with what you've got.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Then hit broil for 3-5 minutes just until you have some browning on top. Watch this carefully, broil can go from perfect to burnt quickly.
Macros for 1/8th of the recipe. (That's very filling!)
Calories: 165, Fat 8.6g, Carb 15.4 g, Protein 8.3g, Fiber 3.4g